Tuesday, March 30, 2010

To Finish or Abandon Projects I've Had on Hold

A friend once told me a story about her grandfather. He had been a creative sort and had lots of unfinished projects. One day, he decided it was time to finish each one. He set to his task, and after a period of a few short months, had finished them all. The next day, he died. My friend’s conclusion was that if a person wants to extend his life, he should never complete everything he’s begun.

Do I believe this? I don’t suppose it matters whether I do or not, because I doubt that I will ever finish everything I’ve started. But the question remains, what projects should I abandon, complete, or save for our up-coming move. Fortunately I have some time to decide, and some time to complete the ones I deem important.

Here are a few I want to get done before the move:

Clean out my closet.

Finish my jewelry-making projects and dispose of the leftover supplies (I’m working on it.)

Organize family photos (Done some significant work, still more to do)
Dispose of things in the attic we won’t be taking with us (Made some progress on this)

Get rid of all my recipe clippings (See blog post about that)

Repair or discard all clothing on the repair shelf

Here’s an undecided:

Fabrics for clothing I’ve yet to make (Do I try to get the items finished now or take the fabric with me? Will I ever sew something from scratch again?)

What projects do you have on hold? What projects have you finally let go of and how did you feel about your decision afterwards? I’d love to hear your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment