Friday, March 26, 2010

Parting With Harriet

I took Harriet to Hippo Hardware yesterday. Harriet is a plush hippo toy that was a favorite of my son when he was little. Once Harriet was accidentally rolled up in a borrowed sleeping bag at a rented beach cabin and left behind. Several miles down the road we discovered her missing and had to go back to retrieve her.

This last Christmas my son came to visit and we went through his things I had stored in the attic. Among them was Harriet. He claimed to have no attachment to her, so I figured it was time to let her go. I knew just the place. Hippo Hardware has long been a favorite place of mine to find vintage lamps, bath fixtures, and so forth. They have dozens of hippos on display.

So yesterday I took her in. She was still wearing the hat I had crocheted for her. The people there were very kind and listened to my story about her. They decided that my son might want to bring his children in someday to visit Harriet, so they put a little tag around her arm with his name on it.

I feel better knowing Harriet is in the good company of other hippos. It's not as if she's entirely gone, as we have photos of her. I'm not exactly "happy" with my decision to part with her, but I am content.

No comments:

Post a Comment